What’s For Dinner: King Ranch Chicken Mac & Cheese
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may be compensated for purchases made via these links; thank you for your support of this blog.
After craving homemade mac & cheese almost all of last week, I adapted this Southern Living recipe on Sunday for a yummy dinner.
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package cellentani pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (8-oz.) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cubed
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles and prepared cheese product; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Stir in chicken, next 4 ingredients, and hot cooked pasta until blended. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese.
3. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
My changes: I used 8 ounces of Monterrey jack cheese for the “cheese product” (yuck) and Perdue’s frozen roasted chicken. In the interest of minimizing dishes to do, I did not spoon everything into a different baking dish; instead I baked everything covered in my Dutch oven.