The Mister and I made this easy recipe from Real Simple for dinner the other night, and it was awesome!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crushed, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups mild jarred salsa (about 1 1/2 jars, each 16 ounces)
- 1 avocado, cut into pieces
- Heat broiler. In a bowl, combine the beef, scallions, tortilla chips, cilantro, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls (about 24) and place on a broilerproof baking sheet. Broil until beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the salsa with 1 cup water. Transfer to a large saucepan, add 2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs, reduce heat, and simmer until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the soup with the avocado, cilantro sprigs, and tortilla chips, if desired.
*My alterations: I left the cilantro out since I don’t like it.